Here are some organizations whose work I admire:
- The Land Institute. Sustainable agriculture research.
- Land Stewardship Project. Sustainable agriculture policy and practice.
- The Berry Center. Sustainable rural economies and communities.
- Urban Roots. Urban agriculture for youth.
- Culture Reframed. Challenging the pornographic culture.
Here are some people whose work I admire:
- Singer/songwriter Eliza Gilkyson, here performing “Hard Times in Babylon” during her Austin City Limits show.
- Writer Jim Rigby, from the pastor of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Austin, TX, a church that welcomes critical thinking. Progressive theology and radical politics.
- Writer Naomi Klein. Reporting and analysis on the economic and ecological crises of our times.
- Journalist Sonali Kolhatkar, host of Rising Up with Sonali.
- Writer Raj Patel. Reporting and analysis on the global food system.
- Writer Tom Philpott. Mother Jones food and ag correspondent.
And special notice of two extraordinary writers from the last half of the 20th century in the United States:
- James Baldwin, seen here in an excerpt from a 1963 documentary. Watch the documentary “James Baldwin: The Price of the Ticket” online.
- Andrea Dworkin, remembered here by friends in a memorial service. Watch the documentary “Pornography: Andrea Dworkin” online.